Intelligent P&IDs and their Advantages
Intelligent P&IDs for piping systems are 2D Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams generated using symbols for equipment, instruments, components etc. and lines representing pipelines, instrumentation signal lines etc. as well as general elements, customized as per each client’s requirements. The information stored with each Intelligent P&ID consists of minimum required attributes for design, analysis, procurement, maintenance etc. The inputs for such intelligence would be from process flow sheets, instrumentation schematics, equipment data sheets, valve and instrumentation specification sheets, piping material specifications, etc. and can also be in the form of drawings and documents.
The P&ID database so generated from Intelligent P&IDs for the entire plant / project, when linked to the Central Database, the integrated Plant Information Management System, leads to numerous advantages over conventional non-intelligent P&IDs, as listed below.
Benefits for new “green-field” plants:
As project progresses, Intelligent P&ID
- Captures, organizes and updates data related to design, procurement, construction etc.
- Provides single data entry with outputs such as Line List, Valve List, Equipment List, etc.
- Associates engineering data, drawings and documents to graphics.
- Checks the integrity between the processes captured in that and the corresponding intelligent 3D Plant model at all times and helps in resolving discrepancies between them.
- Alerts layout designers about process changes.
- Generates standard AutoCAD files with built-in intelligence. Highlights graphically in Intelligent P&ID the equipment, valves, instruments and specialties that are placed in the 3D Plant model.
- Generates reports on items placed in intelligent 3D Plant model in line with Intelligent P&IDs.
Benefits for operating “brown-field” plants:
- From database, plant operating and maintenance (O&M) personnel could at any time rapidly retrieve attributes of equipment, nozzles, pipe lines, valves etc.
- The plant O&M personnel could use it to arrive at alternate processes in case of failure of any equipment (such as a pump), leakage of a valve etc.
- The database can be extended to include customized inspection / maintenance management functions or can be linked directly to the client’s in-house database systems.
- This will also help in any future retrofit / expansion project.