Everything You Want to Know About 3d Scanning Inspection Analysis
Inspection/Analysis - Comparison to CAD
We move on to downstream applications for 3D models. Before we jump, we need to talk about one more application for scan data. Here we'll cover how this data can be utilized for quality inspection.
- CMM - A mechanicaldevice, Coordinate Measuring Machine with 3D coordinates. Either touch probe is based or non-contact, portable or stationary, or motorised or manual.
- Laser Tracker - The laser beam locates a reflective target against the measured object. The beam reflects the tracker by calculating the distance and angle of the location of the target. Later the Laser trackers come with a great option to get accuracy over more extensive measurement ranges.
- Color Map: It's a graphical display for visualising dimensional differences between the measured object shapes. It's a nominal CAD model to map colour spectrum by indicating location and magnitude.
A HISTORY LESSON
We think the 3D scanning industry comes with something new, where the first 3D digitisers, Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMMs), were built in the 1960s. It's the entire purpose of development that perform dimensional inspections. In the last few years, checks have been made with the most common uses for 3D scanning and digitising systems.
The engineers at the then-Martin, Marietta, became aware of a company making articulating arms for medical measurements. Later, they began working with the company to develop a portable CMM for inspections in the aerospace industry.
3d Scanning Inspection Analysis
After creating portable CMM, the options for 3D measurement and inspection exploded. The laser scanners added to the movable arms and Laser Trackers were quickly developed. Talking about a few years, portable scan arms have offered standard measurement solutions in major manufacturing firms. It comes from aerospace to automotive and power generation to medical.
TYPES OF INSPECTIONS
- It comes with different types of inspections utilising 3D technologies:
- It's one fastest and most informative type of inspection called Dimensional Deviation. The CADto Part Inspection covers a typical process Scan Arm. The scan data is compared to the original CAD model, offering a software package showing deviations by a colour map. A variation offer Dimensional Deviation is the Virtual Assembly Analysis. With reference points, the interface datums come with the capability of adding a virtual environment, simulating and identifying how parts fit together in real-world assembly.
- We use the part's assembly characteristics that apply the mating constraints during assembly. It's called "reference point fit", which adds control part movement in each control point. The analysis offer collision in a real-world scenario done virtually.
- It measured the process of being machined. It comes with On-Machine Inspection that allows essential characteristics to be measured and changes the tool to be created. It is typically done using a Portable CMM with probe and scanner. The laser tracker depends on the size of the object that's being machined.
- Similar to on-machine inspections, it uses real-time inspections for Installation Alignment. It uses significant equipment for laser trackers, PCMM, and more. It offers comprehensive assessments for First Article Inspection (FAI). It involves thoroughly inspecting a physical part against the production drawing dimensions. The typical process comes with portable CMM.
The products take 3D measured data from the portable arms and scanners and perform the inspection analysis. Each capability performs two main inspection types: discreet point dimensional inspection and dense point cloud comparison analysis. The comprehensive capabilities come with GD&T or special case analyses. It's specialised in certain areas that use multi-scanner integration. It supports the customer in understanding the strengths of each package relative to using specific applications and company requirements. If we perform the project for someone as a service, it's known as the best software for inspection. Contact us to get more specific packages.
- CAM 2 Measure X (by Faro)
- InnovMetric PolyWorks Inspector
- Geomagic Qualify
- Rapidform XOV
What you do with your data: inspect, model digitally and reverse engineering. Contact Australian Design & Drafting Services to know more about information.