Structural Analysis of Rotor Assembly Subjected to Centripetal Force
Case Study Highlights
Structural Analysis of Rotor Assembly
- Industry : Aftermarket Auto Parts Manufacturer
- Studying the structural behavior of new brake rotor design subjected to centripetal force using FEA.
- A 3D finite element model for the brake rotor was developed using ANSYS Mechanical. Considering the application of centripetal forces on the rotor, a structural analysis was performed with fine mesh quality. The results showed critical stress regions in supporting disc, which led to permanent deflection of the rotor assembly.
- Ensuring accurate CAD model development for brake rotor design for simulations to accurately capture physics under loading conditions
- Identifying accurate loading conditions to ensure FEA result accuracy and validation
- Enable client to bring the new rotor design closer to production with minimum physical tests required
The client is a leading manufacturer and supplier of aftermarket brake components and systems for everyday cars, work duty vehicles and high performance vehicles under different labels. Through continuous innovation, the manufacturer has brought significant improvements in braking technology and has earned four patents along the way.
After understanding the requirements of the client; our FEA experts used ANSYS Mechanical software for resolving the problem. A detailed three-dimensional (3-D) finite element (FE) computer model was constructed for Analysis of the rotor assembly. An appropriate FEA element has been used for the 3-D modeling of solid structures. The element is defined by eight nodes having three degrees of freedom at each node: translations in the nodal x, y, and z directions. The volume where the sweep mesh was not possible, an appropriate FEA element has been used. From the analysis results summary, it was concluded that the rotor assembly is subjected to maximum stress at the supporting disk. The strain is out of the elastic region which means there will be a permanent deflection in the disk.
- Identified design flaws in the rotor assembly prior to production
- Reduced number of physical trials
- Provided manufacturer the advantage of developing the rotor design economically
About Australian Design and Drafting Services:
Australian Design and Drafting services offers a full range of 2D Drafting, 3D Modeling, Designing to Animation and Walkthrough for Architectural, Structural, Electrical, Mechanical and Electronics engineering modeling, to its global clientele across the AEC industry. Understanding and delivering as per client requirements remains the prime focus, for every project that is undertaken. With a multilayered quality check and flexible time scheduling, quality is maintained and projects are always delivered on time.
Australian Design and Drafting services is your innovative partner offering multidisciplinary services for various domains across industries. We are a leading Design and Drafting services provider Australian based organization providing comprehensive design and drafting services to 3,100 plus – 80% recurring clients across Australia. Enhancing your business operations, making them smarter, faster and cheaper has been our ongoing pursuit, backed with two decades of experience. It has helped us evolve into a leading customer centric outsourcing service provider for all your BPO, Software, AEC, and Engineering solutions.
Australian Design & Drafting provides Free Tender Service to all our clients which will save you time, stress and thousands of dollars
Australian Design & Drafting provides obligation Free Consultation Service for all your Drafting & Design requirements
Australian Design & Drafting provides multidisciplinary Design & Drafting Professionals